Friday, February 28, 2014

This is Where I Leave You by Jonathan Tropper

This is Where I Leave You
Jonathan Tropper


“You have to look at what you have right in front of you, at what it could be, and stop measuring it against what you've lost. I know this to be wise and true, just as I know that pretty much no one can do it.”

“You're terrified of being alone. Anything you do now will be motivated by that fear. You have to stop worrying about finding love again. It will come when it comes. Get comfortable with being alone. It will empower you.” 

As  I have said in a past blog post, Jonathan Tropper is one of my favorite authors right now. He writes about hard issues in life (issues which he may or may not have went through himself) but turns them into something light and humorous. As I think back about the book, it is probably one of the most effective combinations of heartbreak and hilariousness that I have ever read! This is the first book that I had read from Tropper and now I am addicted, I want to read all of his other books as well (the other two that I have read of him - Everything Changes and One Last Thing Before I Go are fantastic as well!).

The main character, Judd, is asked to come home to mourn his late fathers death that had been battling cancer. His family is Jewish and Judd's fathers' last wish apparently was to have all the family come together for this event and mourn together - sitting shiva (lasts seven days). Meanwhile, Judd's personal life is crumbling into pieces - he caught his ex-wife in bed with his boss, she is newly pregnant, he quit his job, and doesn't know where to go now in life. The book focuses mostly on the family but through Judd's eyes as he tells the story through past and present tense. This was a really good format for this book - it is good to have a lot of background information.

The tone of the novel is funny and sad - it is a great mixture to make the story flow and for the readers to really connect with the characters. THIS IS WHERE I LEAVE YOU - those words, this book - can take you, if not where you want to go, or at least away from where you need to not be.

This novel is actually being turned into a movie (Tropper wrote the film's screenplay). It comes out in September 2014 and I am quite excited about it, I hope the actors and the directors do the book justice. Jason Bateman is playing Judd Foxman and Tina Fey is playing his ex-wife.

Till the next review! :)
Rebekka.

No comments:

Post a Comment