Friday, February 21, 2014

The First Phone Call from Heaven by Mitch Albom

The First Phone Call from Heaven
Mitch Albom


"A beautifully rendered tale of faith snd redemption that makes us think, feel, and hope - - and then doubt and then believe, as only Mitch Albom can make us do." - Garth Stein

"What if the end is not the end?"

"There are two stories for every life; the one you live and the one others tell."

The First Phone Call from Heaven tells the story of a small town on Lake Michigan that gets worldwide attention when its citizens start receiving phone calls from afterlife. Now the question is: is this a miracle or is it a hoax?! Sully Harding (the main character of the novel), a single father, is determined to find out.

There are a few points in the book that stood out to me. Some of these features are:

  1. There is quite a bit of history written about Alexander Graham Bell and Elisha Grey. I love how Albom includes this in his book. These calls from the afterlife come from cellphones mostly and it is neat to be informed again how the phone was invented.
  2. There is a scene a little over half way of the novel in which one of the people receiving calls from heaven reacts in a very surprising way.
  3. It is just well written. I connected with all of the characters instantly and did not want to put the book down.
The only downside of the book I would have to say is the ending. To me, after I read the ending, I couldn't figure out why I couldn't put the novel down. I was so upset. I am not going to write about the ending because I do not want to ruin the book for anyone. The First Phone Call from Heaven is still a fantastic book (minus the ending) and I think everyone would enjoy the story. I know I still loved the book. It is sort of a mystery novel but also a heart-felt, touching novel.

"There is a time for hello and a time for goodbye. It's why the act of burying things seems natural but the act of digging them up does not."

Till the next review!
Rebekka.

No comments:

Post a Comment