Saturday, March 29, 2014

Why We Broke Up by Daniel Handler

Why We Broke Up
Daniel Handler

"Stop saying no offence," I said, "when you say offensive things. It's not a free pass."

"The thing with your heart's desire is that your heart doesn't even know what it desires until it turns up."

I must say that it was a struggle for me to get to the end of this novel. I don't know if I just didn't like the story or the way it was written or that I was reading the novel off of my iPad. I just know that it was always hard to come back to the story and pay attention. Why We Broke Up got some pretty great reviews from some big people, but I just don't see what they enjoyed about the novel.

There was a very nice background story to this book, but the way it was written really threw me off. First of all the dialogue... it was so hard to follow. The reader really has to pay close attention to who said what right from the very beginning or you start feeling so lost. There were way too many run on sentences and the page long paragraphs were annoying. It felt as if there were no breaks in the story.

The whole thing was pretty annoying... I didn't like the main characters or how someone was just complaining on every page. Everything written was overly sarcastic or written in a rage of anger. It was hard to follow every step of the story, I don't even remember what the characters names were and I think that they were pretty easy names to remember. I just didn't want to read a book about complaining page after page after page.

One nice thing about this book is that it had pictures at the end of every chapter. These pictures related to what was going on in the chapter. It was nice to have a visual to look at and something to look forward too. I hope that if this book is on your reading list, that you do try to attempt to read it. Maybe you will like it, maybe you won't. But you have to be the judge of that.

Till the next review!
Rebekka. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment